Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Titanic Finished

I finished applying all of the water slide decals last night. The model is officially finished. Overall I'm happy with the way it looks. I've noticed a few historical inaccuracies in it (i.e. the lack the center anchor on the bow, etc.), but most of the people that are going to be looking at the model aren't going to realize it. After all, this one at least has the correct number of lifeboats, where the other one I assembled, the Academy 1/600, only has the sixteen plus just two collapsible. Like I say, I'm happy with it.

For the most part, the model fit together perfectly. There were, however, a few exceptions. Part of the time it almost seemed like something heavy had been set on top of the box at the hobby shop as a few of the pieces acted a little sprung. With the work of several rubber bands, clothespins, and some caulk I was able to hide most of the deficiencies. The first funnel also doesn't quite fit on its base, but I think I've fixed it to where most people aren't even going to see it, especially when I display it high on my shelf.

Anyone with just a passing interest in the ship would enjoy putting this model together. The one thing I would recommend to them is that if they were using the stern railing supplied with the model, be extremely careful. Mine snapped when I was cutting it out with the sprue cutters and I was being careful.

In other news, I read an article last night about second officer Charles Lightoller's granddaughter is disclosing details that her grandfather revealed on his deathbed about lying under oath at the two inquiries. If true these details would be just yet another chapter in the ever growing mystique of Titanic. Either way, her disclosure of the details in a Fictional Thriller is a little odd to say the least.

Anyway, after I clean my workstation I'll give the Eisenhower a coat of paint. I have yet to find a color diagram so I am going to try and match it according to pictures. Speaking of pictures, one of these days I'll get my camera working again and I'll post pics of my models.

As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment