Friday, March 9, 2012

Titanic Exhibit

Today I toured the Titanic Exhibit in Kansas City, as I did almost a decade ago when it made its rounds in the same venue. I enjoyed it much more this time around. There were more artifacts and, and since I went during a weekday, the exhibit was less busy and I had more time to look around. Among my favorite pieces were the porthole and the window from the officer's quarters.

I think the hardest part for me to get through my head when I stand in the exhibit is that these artifacts were actually there. These things were on the great ship as she took her plunge into the Atlantic. These things sat in darkness, undisturbed for almost a century. That, for me, is the hardest part to wrap my mind around.

While I do flock to see such artifacts, and will probably do so again before the exhibit leaves town, along with attending museums such as the one in Branson, I have mixed feelings about raising such artifacts. Especially ones that belong to individuals, rather than the ship itself. After all, the wreck site is a grave marker, and should be treated with the utmost reverence.

I would recommend the exhibit to anyone with at least the slightest passing interest in either the great ship itself, or history in general.

In the gift shop, I bought a nice throw that I plan on hanging from the wall of my home office. It was a tough choice between the advertisement throw and the one that resembled the blankets that were used in third class. But, I eventually went with the advertisement, showing the ship in all her strength and beauty.

I made the mistake of stopping by the bookstore. There I found several books that I didn't own. I bought no fewer than five Titanic books. I could have purchased more that I didn't have, but I had to draw the line somewhere. At least I got a member's discount.

I finished the Olympic Class Ships book. I'll have my post with thoughts and opinions on that sometime in the next couple of days.

Model Update: As for the Eisenhower, the flight deck is painted (except for the caution tape around the hangar elevators. I've also painted the hull below the waterline. After the paint dried on the hull, it looks like it could use one more coat. I'll probably apply it at the same time I paint the rudders and propeller shaft supports.

Since I couldn't find a paint chart, I decided to use Tamiya's Hull Red and Medium Blue. The colors work well on the model, and look close to those used in the pictures of other assembled models I've found online.

As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment