Saturday, March 3, 2012

Introduction

Ships have always fascinated me. Whether it be warships, ships of the line, or commercial ocean liners, there's something about each type that manages hold my interest. With that being said, I'll always be partial to the famous liners of the North Atlantic passenger trade from a century ago. One ship specifically, and I believe everyone in the world knows its name.

I've read many books on the subject, watched many documentaries, and spent hours looking at Ken Marschall's wonderful paintings. The stories, whether it be a common legend or from a survivor's account, something about it has always managed to capture my imagination since a very young age.

Not too long ago, I began assembling model kits of some of the famous liners and warships. Thus far, I have completely assembled: a 1/600 scale RMS Titanic by Academy, a 1/1200 scale German Battleship Bismarck by Revell, and a 1/350 scale USS Missouri BB-63 by Tamiya. Currently, I am in the process of assembling the centennial edition of the 1/400 scale RMS Titanic by Revell.

In this blog, I plan on not only commenting on the various books and documentaries about ships, but also to discuss my progress on the various models. I am by no means a professional modeler, nor am I making any claims to be. I've seen many pictures of completed models by the experts online. Maybe someday, if I'm still putting these things together in twenty-five or thirty years, some of the models will begin to look like that. I'm also not claiming to be an expert, or to know more about it than the authors of the countless books I've read.

All I hope to accomplish here, is to share my thoughts on the material I read and the models I assemble. If anyone out there happens to have the same interests as me, and they read my blog, I hope they enjoy it.

1 comment: